Saturday, March 17, 2018

Putting St Patrick's Day into Perspective



Today is the Holy day so it is. I wasn't going to comment on it this year because I'm just not feeling it so I thought I'd review some Irish Traditions just so we all know what the day is supposed to be all about. It's not supposed to be about getting pissed drunk. It's a day set aside to remember Irish history and tradition. It's a salute to the Holy land so it is.

Do you know what Tiocfaidh ár lá means? Do you know the song a Nation Once Again or The Town I Loved so Well? Do you know the real meaning behind The Lord of the Dance? Well wait till I tell ye. Tiocfaidh ár lá, pronounced Chuckie ar la, means our day will come. It's usually shouted while throwing a stone, brick or petrol bomb at some invincible enemy like David and Goliath. However, it's more like the final spear of the Spartan in the movie 300. A final f*ck you before being destroyed just to say I still disagree right to the end recording your dissent.

In fact the song A Nation Once Again cites that heroic last stand. It is a rebel song mourning the loss of the nation, longing for the day when Ireland will one day be reunited. The Town I Loved so Well refers to Derry. The Lord of the Dance is an old hymn referring to Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated so there will be a delay before they appear on the blog.